Reducing the rates burden on families
- I am committed to refocusing council activities on essential core services and implementing a continuous efficiency drive to ensure that ratepayer funds are spent wisely and that waste is minimised.
- Council must access alternative funding streams to meet our housing, transport and infrastructure challenges. I will back road pricing and other ‘user pay’ systems that will allow us to reduce our dependence on rates.
- Too many council assets are being underutilised and incurring significant holding and maintenance costs for ratepayers. I will be a strong voice for council entering into value-adding partnerships with industry to unlock the potential of our assets and reduce the need to borrow.
Working with Government to deliver affordable housing and real transport solutions for West Auckland
- All levels of Government must work collaboratively and in good faith to address Auckland’s housing and transport challenges. There is simply no time for party politics and political point-scoring.
- My commitment to voters is that I will be your representative at the Governing Body table, continuously looking for practical solutions that will break the deadlock with Government and move Auckland forward.
- I support and respect the independent decision-making process of the Unitary Plan and will work with my fellow councillors to determine how we can expedite residential and commercial development under this new planning framework.
- I will advocate tirelessly to fast-track those projects that will truly unlock the West, including Lincoln Road and the North-Western Busway.
Supporting local communities and our natural environment
- During my last term I worked hard to ensure that council did not step away from its obligations to invest in safety and back community groups like Surf Life Saving Northern Region. My message on this is clear, not on my watch!
- I will ensure that the council move towards ‘empowered communities’ does not come at the expense of our local environment. I have strongly backed projects like our Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups and funding for Kauri Dieback prevention measures and will continue to do so.
- We are entering into our third term of the amalgamated Auckland Council and it is time for council investment to be prioritised towards rejuvenating Glen Eden and Henderson. As Westies, we are proud of our heritage and want to see our town centres restored to their rightful places as centres for business, living, dining and most importantly, interacting with our communities.
- I will continue to back our local Business Associations and the Waitakere Business Club and be your voice for West Auckland business at the council table.
Local economic development and local jobs
- I will keep pressure on Panuku Development Auckland (council’s development arm) to ‘unlock’ Henderson’s potential and master-plan for mixed business and housing opportunities that will diversify our local economy and support jobs
- I will maintain a strong focus on releasing adequate commercial land in the West to support industry and employment opportunities
- I will back continued rates decreases for small and medium business and streamlined consenting and permitting processes